Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Vintage" for the gimpy

When you're limited by a handicap, it effects everything, including what you wear.  You really have to think about what you're going to be doing that day & what you might need. 
 
Do I need a wheelchair or can I just use the cane?
(wheelchairs & underskirts or gloves are a no-no)
 
What kind of floors do they have?
 
How long will this take?
 
How bad am I feeling?
 
Can I get everything done on my list?
 
I have to wear several braces (wrists, knees, ankles & back).  Because the braces use hook & loop straps, they snag things like tights/stockings, crinolines & light materials.  They also stick to each other & I'm always getting my wrist braces stuck to my knee braces, providing endless amusement to my friends.
  
I do the sweater girl thing. Usually with a pencil/tulip skirt, capris or jeans.  It's fast, easy & comfortable.   Vintage sweaters are hard to find, so I try to find modern ones that are similar, then I add appliques or modify them a bit.  Target usually has pretty good, plain sweaters.  Bettie Page Clothing has just released some cute sweaters, but sadly, they're out of my price range right now.  I rarely have any luck at the local thrift stores.  They tend to be more expensive than Target, NY & Co, JC Penny or Walmart.
 
When I shop for vintage items, I have to make sure I'm not getting something with tiny buttons or zippers that I can't work.  If it has one of those things, can I do anything to change it without destroying it?  How easy is it to get on & off?  I do have a zipper pull & button tool, but it doesn't always work with vintage items.  I wear a lot of reproduction items or new items that I've altered.  I can't really say I'm a hardcore vintage girl, though I used to be & still try to be. 
 
A few years ago, one of my friends worked for a large thrift store & would give me a heads up when the good stuff showed up.  She wasn't allowed to hold anything, but I could sneak over on my lunch break.  Unfortunately, due to my injuries & inactivity, I've outgrown almost everything I bought then. 
 
A huge problem I have is I have very long legs and a very short torso (my waist is really high up).  It's common with Ehlers Danlos & Hypermobility.  I can't really buy dresses because they don't fit well.  If I do, I have to alter them, but larger vintage sizes are hard enough to find.  It's a lot of work when you already have limited energy.  I did manage to alter one of my dresses last night.  It has been in the "alterations" pile for months.  One of my "things to do" while unemployed was to get through that pile.  I've altered a whopping three items since March.  Sad.  Just sad.  Why not take them to be altered?  I've had terrible luck with that & it costs money.  The last time I had something altered, the woman couldn't wrap her head around my height and made my skirt 4" too short. 
 
This is what I tend to wear on a fairly regular basis:
 
 
The braces should be in pairs (except for the back brace, obviously).  I don't have the striped top, but I do have that skirt.  It has a cute pleat on the back that makes it a little more interesting than a plain one.  The wedges aren't really retro, but they are comfortable & I have them in that plaid & black.  I have to wear a slight heel when my Achilles tendon is acting up.  I also have a few pairs of Iron Fist flats since I have a psychobilly tendency at times (when I'm feeling more punky). 
 
Vintage shoes are hard for me to wear.  I'm supposed to wear corrective shoes, but rarely do.  I have to add heel cups & arch supports & they don't always fit well.  The bones in my feet dislocate on a regular basis, so I have to be careful about the shoes I buy.  Swing shoes are great if you get the resoled.  They are pricey though (especially with resoling).  High heels are a huge no-no.  My ankles dislocated in any heel over 3". 
 
Money is always an issue.  I spend most of it on doctors, so I rarely have anything leftover for clothes.  My wardrobe has gotten rather sad in the last few years.  If I can lose weight, I'll be able to fit into most of my vintage clothes again. 
 
Hair usually ends up in some sort of pony tail or bandanna.  I can't spend much time on hair because my arms dislocate.  This is where hats come in, though sometimes I'll skip the hat if I don't want to attract too much attention. 
 
Since this has gotten way too long, here's one more "typical outfit" picture:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment