Sunday, November 13, 2011

eBay purchases

My "vintage" gingham shirt showed up the other day.  It's in great shape, but I don't really think it's "vintage."  I probably overpaid, but nothing to be done about that now.  It fits really well & it's comfortable.  My friend saw it when we went out to dinner & loved it. 
 
 
I did win the tie on eBay for $1.  The seller had it dated as 1880, which it was not, the company was founded in the 1880's.  I was feeling bad yesterday, so I decided to figure out the date of the tie as a distraction. 
 
  
The design & width reminded me of the 40's.  I've seen similar ties in old family photos.  I knew it wasn't that old because of the tag & it seemed like it was too long. 
 
 
After a tiny bit of digging, I found out that this is probably from the 60's & during that time, they reused several designs from the 30's - 50's.  I did find some online vintage shops selling ties labeled as 40's ties that were the same length & width, but the tag is definitely newer than that.  I couldn't find any info on the Gainsborough line by Superba.  It's still a cute tie & it will work for the outfit I want it for.  Now I just have to figure out how to tie it properly.  I can never get ties knotted correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment