Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Hopwood Motel

I've been meaning to post a review about the Hopwood Motel in Uniontown, PA.  This is where I stayed when I tried to go home last month. 
 
 
I was going to stay at the Lincoln Motor Court in Manns Choice, PA, but it ended up being too far out of the way.  The Hopwood was much closer to the places I planned on visiting & they had wifi.  They also have smoking rooms, which is becoming a rarity anymore. 
 
When I made the reservation, I originally wanted to stay there for 2 nights.  The woman I spoke with was very nice & asked what time I would arrive.  The office closes at 9, so she told me she'd leave the key under the mat & I could register the next morning.  The friend that rode with me thought this was hilarious and swore I'd be sleeping in my car that night.  I tried to explain the small town quality of the Pittsburgh area, but he didn't get it (the city we live in is not a nice place and this is unheard of here).  The key was there & my name was spelled correctly on the envelope.  I dropped the friend off & came back. 
 
I had a smoking room, which doesn't bother me since I have the occasional cigarette.  It was pretty smokey though.  The small window in the bathroom had been left open, but it didn't air it out very much.  Since I was going to a family event the next day, I worried about smelling like smoke.  I opened the front window a bit and the door & it aired out quickly.

Table & TV.  The vanity/dresser is between the TV & door.
The motel is located just outside of downtown Uniontown and the area was blissfully quiet.  The wifi worked better than I expected so I was able to check my email.  The rooms have a small TV, table & chairs, dresser with vanity mirror, queen sized bed, microwave & a mini fridge.  The mattress was decent, but not great though my back was fine on it.  Everything was clean, but definitely older.  I think the fact that it's a bit older & I had a smoking room made it feel a tad dingy, but I didn't mind.  I was surprised that the room was much bigger than I imagined.  
 
The bed.  Microwave & mini fridge are next to it by the bathroom.
The only noise I had to deal with was the housekeeping crew going into the shed, which was right behind my room.  I left the bathroom window open overnight & it sounded like someone was trying to get in at first.  My phone was going off at the same time and I think waking up like that was a tad confusing for me.  The staff wasn't really loud by any means.

The tiny bathroom window.
I hadn't been to Uniontown in many years & forgot about their little downtown area.  It hasn't changed much.  I was hoping to do a quick walking tour of it on Saturday, then check out the flea market on the way to my family event, but a few hours after I fell asleep, I got the call from the Mr. saying he was in the hospital.  I showered and spent an hour trying to get a hold of the friend that rode up with me while packing.  I rarely unpack at a hotel, but I spread out most of my train case contents on the vanity/dresser.
  
Another bathroom shot.  The shower stall (on the right) is not tile.
While waiting for the friend to meet me, I checked out.  I was worried that I'd have to pay an extra fee for cancelling, but the woman was very nice and I was only charged for the one night I was there ($68 including tax). 

Accredited sanitation!  This was on the bathroom door.
The next time I go home, I will definitely try to stay there again.  The Mr. is a hotel snob, so I don't know if he'd stay there or not.  I loved how quiet it was and that my room was a nice size.  It was also a really good price.  Chain hotels around Pittsburgh are usually $100+ a night & if you're on a tight budget, it's worth the extra drive to save the money. 

***If you're wondering why the photos seem a little dark, it's because I took them at night.  I didn't get the chance to retake them in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment