Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Intro

A few months ago, I was venting to a fellow EDSer and she suggested I start a blog. 
 
For my first post, I thought I'd post a few things about myself.  I'll start with the bad first:
 
1 - I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility type III) aka EDS.  After several years of fighting with doctors, I got a diagnosis last year.  EDS is a genetic disorder that affects the connective tissue.  There are several different types.  Almost all of my joints are loose and this causes them to wear down faster than they would if my connective tissue wasn't defective.  There's no cure & most doctors don't even know what it is.  All they can do is feed me pain meds & surgically repair things.  I'm in constant pain & use a cane or wheelchair to get around on bad days. 
 
2 - I had 3, bad major events happen within a few months of each other.  My EDS diagnosis (dx), my father dying & being laid off from my job.  I suffered from depression before, but now it's severe.  My doctors are trying to put me back on meds for it and put me into counselling.  I had bad experiences with both in the past & I can't afford to go to weekly psych sessions.  My insurance doesn't cover much and EDS is expensive enough as it is.  I'm doing what I can with what I have.
 
OK, now the light stuff...
 
3 - I'm a huge nerd.  I'm into Star Wars, comic books, bad horror & sci-fi movies.  
 
4 - I'm a very proud, but displaced Pittsburgh girl (my hair is dyed black & gold).  I go home regularly for Pirates or Penguins games.  I used to go home every weekend, but driving is now quite painful, so I've had to cut back.
 
5 - I have a weakness for vintage hats.  I got out of it for a little while because my hair was short and they didn't look right. 
 
6 - My favorite vintage periods are the 40's and some of the early 50's.  A large chunk of my vintage collection is from my family.     
 
7 - I've been a fan of Marilyn Monroe since elementary school.  It's kind of cliche.  Almost everyone is a Monroe fan.   
 
That's enough for now.  I have a tendency to ramble and I'm trying not to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment