Monday, January 23, 2012

Anti-Vintage Mister...

My husband is anti-vintage & is pretty vocal about it.  We watch shows like Auction Hunters, Pawn Stars & American Pickers and he doesn't understand why people want a lot of the things they find, like the old stove on tonight's Pawn Stars.   
 
Tonight he ranted about vintage hair (a friend of Danielle on American Pickers had her hair in a vintage style).  I know he's seen my Vintage Hairstyling book upstairs.
 
He does approve of the bullet bra though.  Go figure...
 
He hates vintage clothes.  "They're just someone else's old nasty clothes."  He has NO idea any of my wardrobe is vintage other than my coat. 
 
I got away from dressing in vintage clothes for a while, but have gone back to it over the last few years.  I'm not sure if he doesn't like the direction & this is his way of hinting about it or he's just clueless.  He's OK with rockabilly/psychobilly, but not vintage.  I didn't think he could tell the difference. 
 
When I ask him what the problem really is, he can't explain.  He just doesn't get it and "he's right, everyone else is wrong."  I thought maybe it was the smell that some clothes have.  Nope.  He hates vintage shops because they charge too much for "old junk" & he hates thrift stores because they're dirty.  The thrift stores around here are pretty sketchy & I do not have good luck at them. 
 
He's OK with my preference for old movies.  He claimed he was into older movies when we first started hanging out, but that isn't the case.  He only liked two old films before I started making him watch them more often.  Maybe I'll wait until I can fit into some of my old clothes or replace more of my wardrobe, then tell him how much is vintage & show him how it's made better and is nicer than what I could get at most stores. 
 
Does anyone else have an anti-vintage mate?

No comments:

Post a Comment